ACC Okanagan Forum » Get Organized

Mt English June 2015

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by kevin witzke
  • Latest reply from kevin witzke

Tags:

1. kevin witzke

Hi there...
    June 20 is only a few days away and it'll be the launch day for our annual push to the summit of Mt English.
    Here's who I've heard from:
    Lars, Marianne, John J, Dave H, Wendy J, Doug J, Gent MK, Dorota A, Ken L, Brad H, Neal S, Doug B.
    I count 12 in this lot.
    Please let me know if you are still in. Over the next couple days we'll talk carpooling.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. wejansen

Just seeing if any specialized gear is required for this hike or just standard hiking and camping gear?

Thanks,
    Wendy

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. DaveH

Wendy, just standard gear. Camp at the road end so just a day pack needed for the actual ascent. There is probably still some snow on the route so an ice axe might be handy although walking poles will probably be sufficient.
    Dave

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. kevin witzke

Hi, it's Friday AM. Tomorrow is Saturday, and off we go to the hills!
    Regarding Hiking Gear:
    The trip is classified as a scramble which means that all you really need are strong legs but occasionally you'll use your hands too.
    Because you'll be using your feet, bring comfortable hiking boots that will keep your feet dry too when hiking through snowy patches or wet meadows. Gaiters (gators) are popular for tall wet grass/snow.
    Because you'll be using your hands, an ice-axe or hiking poles will be handy on the steeper slopes. The ice-axe also is a great aid to check you glissade speed on the downslopes.
    You'll want a 10-20L day pack for you lunch, sun-screen, hat, gloves, bug spray, and to store the down-jacket and rain pants you shed 20min into the hike Sunday morning.
    The last toilet is at the forestry campsite at Frog Falls an hour away - so bring TP.
    Regarding Sleeping Gear:
    We'll be camping at the end of a forestry road where there is plenty of room for tents or to sleep in the back of your ride. We usually scratch around for enough dry wood to build a cozy campfire so bring treats. Most of us use backpack style portable campstoves, but you might choose a gas barbeque to stand-out from the rest. There is running water/creek near by. Some may choose to boil or otherwise treat the water before drinking. Some use it au natural. An axe or bow saw is handy - a chain-saw really handy!
    Regarding Carpooling:
    Working backwards, to be at the campsite at 6pm, we should leave the highway at 3-valley Gap around 4pm. This means leaving Kelowna at 2pm. I have 2 hours of work to conduct in Revelstoke so I'll leave Kelowna at noon but will meet the rest of you at the 3-Valley Gap Hotel at 4. I can take two others if you want to find friends in the Stoke while I work. Let me know. The forestry road is pretty rough and the sides of your vehicle will certainly get brushed by branches etc. The damage hasn't been permanent, but maybe my grey SUV hides that sort of this better other colours. We can probably leave one or two vehicles at the Hotel to avoid everyone driving themselves through the forest. The best idea is to carpool from Kelowna though. 4-5 SUV's should be enough for our group of 10ish. Please discuss carpooling here on the forum or call each other - or my number is 250.869.9841 for talking or texting.
    I hope to hear from you,
    Kevin

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. kevin witzke

Dave's description is more brief than mine - he must have run out of ink!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. DaveH

I am providing a ride from Kelowna for Wendy and Dorota. I have room for one more in my truck if anyone else needs a ride. Short legs would be an advantage as the back seat of the truck has a high floor pan!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. dougjoorisity

I have room for 1 or 2 in my SUV. Bring your tent. I am sleeping in my car. I plan on leaving Kelowna about 1:30 - 2:00 pm.

Call 250-868-6546 or e-mail jdjeng@gmail.com.

Doug Joorisity

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. kevin witzke

Hi...
    From what I gather, John J is picking up Lars and Marianne. Dave H is taking Wendy and Dorota. Doug J has room for 2 others. Ken L and Gent are off the trip. I know that Neal S and his nephew still intend to go, but I haven't heard in a couple days. I also haven't got confirmation from Doug B or Brad H.
    Let's plan to be at the 3-valley gap hotel at 3:45pm (it's at the east end of the lake). We'll organize and head off road at 4pm.
    I'm not heading to my meeting in Revy until 11:30 so contact me in the AM with any news-breaks or if you need a ride.
    Thanks,
    Kevin 250.869.9841 talk/text

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

ACC Okanagan Forum is powered by bbPress.