acc okanagan

acc logo

ACC Okanagan Forum » Trip Reports

Asulkan Weekend 1 - Jan31/Feb1

(1 post)
  • Started 5 years ago by kevin witzke

Tags:

1. kevin witzke

On Friday, six of us met up and made our way into the Asulkan Hut. Skies were clear and sunny with calm winds and the temperatures were relatively warm (-10) as the cold front had not made it's way south yet.

Our group consisted of: Patrick (leader), Les (patriarch of the group with many great stories and he has skiied everywhere), Max (the gourmet cook, who was the sole splitboarder and French Canadian, in the group), Carsten (new to back-country skiing and who had the heaviest pack), Lorne (representing Alberta from Calgary) and myself, Sabina (co-leading the group).

On Sat., we woke up to sunny skies and a fabulous views and decided to go for Young's Peak despite the thermometer outside the hut reading -18. By noon we were on the Peak and looking forward to having lunch in the sun, however the wind was blowing and after about 10mins on the peak we decided to have lunch at the hut instead. The conditions changed that day with thin windslabs beginning to form in the Alpine, so most of us spent the afternoon skiing laps below the cabin in the sheltered north facing Tree Traingle. Again the evening Alpenglow was inspiring and I think most of us feel we made the most of our time up at the Hut and enjoyed the evening by sharing stories and making new friends.

On Sunday, again we woke to clear, cold skies -18 and decided to tour to the Dome. It was nice to ski down first thing to the Mouse Trap and then make our way up through the Triangle Morraine in the sun. We made it up to the top pitch of the Dome, with Patrick and Lorne going upto the col and the rest of the group skiing down to the summer trail via a left hand line; the skiing got 'sporty' the last pitch as it had seem some sun, was a bit skiied out as well as being technically challenging.

All in all, we had a great time, made some new friends and we all learned something.
    I am grateful for the group, as I had a most excellent time and really enjoyed myself.

Thank you and thank the ACC OK section for making this trip possible.
    Looking forward to more time spent in the mountains with ACC members!

best
    sabina

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

ACC Okanagan Forum is powered by bbPress.